Saturday, September 4, 2010

Umashankar hits out at Karunanidhi a day after reinstatement

"Man is mortal. Everyone has to die some day or the other. But one must resolve to lay down one's life in enriching the noble ideals of self-respect and in bettering one's human life. We are not slaves. Nothing is more disgraceful for a brave man than to live life devoid of self-respect.”Babasheb Dr.B.R.Ambedkar

A day after his suspension was revoked by the government, IAS officer C Umashankar on Friday accused Tamil Nadu chief minister M Karunanidhi of harassment by framing false charges against him for being honest in service.
Umashankar told mediapersons that without Karunanidhi’s knowledge, he could not have been suspended from service. “I have been targeted with the chief minister’s full knowledge. IAS officers who issued the suspension order were mere tools in the hands of the political executive. It was improper on the part of the government to give a press release on my suspension. My suspension was meant to be a shock treatment to the IAS and IPS officials in the state,” he charged. Umashankar thanks govt for revoking suspension
IAS officer Umashankar, who was under suspension for 43 days on the community certificate issue, however, thanked the government for revoking his suspension and said he would join duty on Monday as MD of the Tamil Nadu Small Industries Corporation.
Addressing a press conference with his wife Suryakala, son Sugeeswaran and daughter Tharunika, Umashankar said while his mother was Christian, his father was Hindu. “All my 11 siblings have all along remained Hindus. But my mother named me Ashok and got it recorded in my SSLC book that I was a Christian Pallar. My father was agitated over that. Finally, when I was doing my final year in college, my father got me officially converted to Hinduism, changed my name to Umashankar and also got it notified in the government gazette.”
He said the community certificate was verified by officials twice in 1990. On the government’s instruction, the Tirunelveli collector had once again summoned him for yet another inquiry about the community certificate, he said, adding that the state government had no locus standi to initiate such an inquiry when his employer was the UPSC or the Centre. “Let me make it clear now. For the past two years, I am a practising Christian. However, I have not changed my religion legally.”
Source: The Times of India

No comments:

Post a Comment